John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help comparing UTVs/SxS

What makes the Deere the best one to get?
What are the pros/cons versus competition (Polaris, Honda, etc)

Thanks for the help,
Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was all set to buy a 825i. when I decided to take a look at some of the others in the same class.

I've checked out Kubota, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda (Big Red), and Can Am.

I still need to check out Polaris, but the Gator 825i w/the P&P package is in the lead. They all are going to be about 12k to 13k, so I want to get the most for my $$$.

The only one that compares to the Gator is the Honda. It's rugged, and well made, The sticker on a bare bones model was about 12k. I think it's a little more of a work horse than a recreational UTV. Also, the others ones I've looked at will fit into a truck bed, but the Big Red and Kubota are too wide (wheel width). Either way, I'm probably going to use a single axel trailer to transport it.

These things aren't cheap, so shop around if you can.

·
Registered
46 Posts
First order of business for you is to decide how you plan/hope to use the UTV/SxS! Depending on the task, "feature" might be an asset or a liability.

I started off looking at used Yamaha Rhinos (for fun factor and availability), but after I seriously looked at what I wanted the UTV for, I realized the Rhino would come up short. I ended up with the JD XUV 825i, but my "finalists" included the 855D and the Ranger XP. I already have diesel on my place (for my tractor) so that's not a problem, but the 825i's power and speed give it an edge. I never even test drove the Ranger, but I do like its cockpit ergonomics. Other than the steering, however, I prefer the XUVs controls. The Ranger is quicker, and probably a bit sportier, but the 825i is great for me. I have a good bit of time in neighbors' XUV 850D, and it has proven very reliable and a work horse (though not what I longed for in the "fun" department). I've not heard such good things about Rangers, but I have no first hand knowledge.

Ultimately though, it was my established relationship with my JD dealer that had me opt for the 825i.

- Steve in CO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts