John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here and new to UTV’s, and thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

Looking to buy our first UTV. We have a 30 acre property in upstate NY and would like a Gator type vehicle for property management; hauling some firewood, maybe pulling some logs, and probably putting a plow on it to plow our long and steep gravel driveway. I don‘t anticipate doing much trail riding; it will be used mainly as a workhorse.

I have looking at the HPX 615E and Polaris 570 as they are in my price and size range. I have been reading the reviews on line and it seems that the Gator would be the obvious choice. However, I am having trouble getting past the fact that the Polaris has so much more horse power, ground clearance, and has power steering...I like power steering. So, my questions are:

In your opinions how is the steering on the Gator? Is the lower horse power that big a difference for all practical purposes; especially considering possible plowing duties? What about reliability?

Thank you very much and I welcome any other thoughts/suggestions.

Best to all.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Those are very different machines. The Polaris is a more sport oriented machine where the Deere is geared more to working around the farm. The bed on the Gator is over twice the size of the Polaris and the Gator has twice the cargo carrying capacity. So, if you are truly looking for a work machine it's really no choice. If you are drooling over the higher horsepower and ground clearance of the Polaris I think in your heart you really want a sport machine and are trying to justify it to the wife as a "work" purchase.

Power steering I think would be a good feature for you to consider and it is available on some Deere models and can be added to almost any of them. With the weight of a plow on the front, which increases steering forces, I think you would really appreciate the power steering. Manual steering isn't bad when driving and making minor corrections but when going slow and doing a lot of turning you soon realize why all cars and most tractors have power steering.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are very different machines. The Polaris is a more sport oriented machine where the Deere is geared more to working around the farm. The bed on the Gator is over twice the size of the Polaris and the Gator has twice the cargo carrying capacity. So, if you are truly looking for a work machine it's really no choice. If you are drooling over the higher horsepower and ground clearance of the Polaris I think in your heart you really want a sport machine and are trying to justify it to the wife as a "work" purchase.

Power steering I think would be a good feature for you to consider and it is available on some Deere models and can be added to almost any of them. With the weight of a plow on the front, which increases steering forces, I think you would really appreciate the power steering. Manual steering isn't bad when driving and making minor corrections but when going slow and doing a lot of turning you soon realize why all cars and most tractors have power steering.
Thanks for your response. That’s funny, but no, I really do want a work machine. You’re right about the bed size, I had the Polaris’ confused with the bed size of the other machine that has me interested, the Kubota Sidekick. Anyway, we have taken the Polaris off the shopping list and it’s between the JD and the Kubota Sidekick. Any thoughts about the Kubota vs Gator? I appreciate your comment about power steering and the Kuboat has it.

Thanks again, I appreciate it; new to this and trying to get informed opinions.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have operated a xuv625i Gator for 5 years. It was purchased new and replaced a 2005 Kawasaki Mule. The machine is stored and operated on a 330 acre tree farm and was purchased specifically as an all around work vehicle and seasonal hunting support machine. I did all the comparisons and offer the following opinions: 1) the Gator bed size was consistently larger than the competition, 2) I do not need high end horsepower and the Gator was/is competitive in the mid range engine size, 3) I am not particularly mechanically inclined...i can do the oil change and basic stuff but a good dealer relationship was important to me ( annual/heavy maintenance requires a 60 mile flat bed trip one way but I have good rapport with the service manager), 4) the engine noise on the Gator is a real issue for me and i did not realize how loud it was with roofed but open cockpit 5) the availability of popular options is relatively more limited and relatively more expensive than for many of the competitors, 6)if I had to do a replacement today it would be a serious run off between the Gator and the Honda sxs...but that's just one guy's opinion!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Based on my experience with a failed fuel pump and non-availability of parts less then 5 years after a model year is put out on the market I would stay away from all JD products. No aftermarket parts available.
Polaris has a number of issues too, like catching fire. A lot of after market parts.
If I had to spend 20K$ on a machine I would put that on a CanAM, the defender lineup is very capable. Also a lot of aftermarket parts.

Canam is the market leader everyone is trying to copy or catch up to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recommend buying a nice front end loader for the logs and other heavy duty work clearing trails on your land and then get what ever utv for doing the rest of your projects and a powered dump bed is a plus. Im sure you can find a good used loader for $6000 and a couple of utvs for $6000 If you want new go for the larger utv.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for your response. That’s funny, but no, I really do want a work machine. You’re right about the bed size, I had the Polaris’ confused with the bed size of the other machine that has me interested, the Kubota Sidekick. Anyway, we have taken the Polaris off the shopping list and it’s between the JD and the Kubota Sidekick. Any thoughts about the Kubota vs Gator? I appreciate your comment about power steering and the Kuboat has it.

Thanks again, I appreciate it; new to this and trying to get informed opinions.
I would personally pick the Deere over Kubota for the parts availability. In my area, the local Kubota dealer lot is almost empty. They can’t get machines to sell and the parts in the country are getting hard to find. Kubota Japan isn’t keeping up with any delivery time to the US and dealers are hurting. No equipment to sell, no parts to repair equipment, orders are taking 8 months to get tractors that should be stock items on the lot. The shop is hurting too because of parts availability. One dealer north of us has gone out of business after 50 years because Covid screwed up Kubota so bad. They are good machines but if you find one, your on your own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I actually own both. The Gator is much smoother, better handling, and overall just a better utility vehicle for working. The Polaris is nice too but does not handle like the Gator. I think the Gator is the Cadillac of the woods!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts