John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
New member but I have been reading many threads and I ended up getting a 590M S4.
We have a flower farm and I was considering adding a winch for light duty work. Dragging wood rails, etc. The dealer quoted the winch and mounting kit over $1000.
Does anyone recommend a good alternate? It has the winch ready kit with glove box plug for the remote.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ordered my Gator without a winch because there are so many aftermarket options. Purchased and installed a Terra brand with poly rope instead of steel cable. Wired it through a second "arming" switch to avoid accidental activation.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered my Gator without a winch because there are so many aftermarket options. Purchased and installed a Terra brand with poly rope instead of steel cable. Wired it through a second "arming" switch to avoid accidental activation.
Looks really good. Did you end up using a mounting kit?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks really good. Did you end up using a mounting kit?
I purchased a mounting kit with the winch. Winch came with some hardware. It was back in 2014 so I don't recall exactly but I used part of one kit and part of the other. Relay fit nicely in battery box. Remote socket in glove box pointing down to keep water out. Onboard switch mounted left end of dash so it is accessible from driver's seat or out of Gator. Lower switch is winch power, middle switch is for rear work lights. I usually use the remote winch control so I can watch the rope wind up and manage it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
the 2021 590M comes pre wired for a winch. Is there an after market winch that can use the already installed wiring, etc.?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would recommend buying the mounting kit from Deere. I tried myself piecing things, but I think it was about the same cost in the end and a lot of time spent. It's a Warn 4000lb winch that Deere sells

1 - 7 of 7 Posts