John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I can't seem to find a winch mounting plate for my 2016 HPX DSL. Also, I'm not exactly sure which model I have as the plate only reads HPX DSL and not a model number.
Thanks,
Marc

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,821 Posts
Hey, I can't seem to find a winch mounting plate for my 2016 HPX DSL. Also, I'm not exactly sure which model I have as the plate only reads HPX DSL and not a model number.
Thanks,
Marc
Did you look online at jdparts.com ? Enter the PIN or Product Identification Number. This can be normally found on the frame in front of the right rear tire. From there you should see all parts available for your Gator.

Operators Manual found here

BTW
On this model the mounting plate is attached to a receiver tube.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you look online at jdparts.com ? Enter the PIN or Product Identification Number. This can be normally found on the frame in front of the right rear tire. From there you should see all parts available for your Gator.

Operators Manual found here

BTW
On this model the mounting plate is attached to a receiver tube.
Thanks Bradhill,
I have a new issue, clutch won't engage. I drove the gator into town about 3 miles down the road, when I slowed down to park it stalled, now she's grinding and won't go into gear. Had to walk home and get the trailer! I've seen your name mentioned along with Doc, do you have any advise?
Much appreciated!!
Velasco

·
Administrator
3,821 Posts
Thanks Bradhill,
I have a new issue, clutch won't engage. I drove the gator into town about 3 miles down the road, when I slowed down to park it stalled, now she's grinding and won't go into gear. Had to walk home and get the trailer! I've seen your name mentioned along with Doc, do you have any advise?
Much appreciated!!
Velasco
You can first try throughly cleaning both clutch’s with hot soapy water and or non chlorinated brake cleaner followed by compressed air. Inspect the belt for damage, will the Gator shift into and out of gear with the engine off ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can first try throughly cleaning both clutch’s with hot soapy water and or non chlorinated brake cleaner followed by compressed air. Inspect the belt for damage, will the Gator shift into and out of gear with the engine off ?
Thanks, I'll look for a "how to" video and give that a try- the belt does look a bit old. The gator will easily shift into forward or reverse, just grinds like hell when you try while running. I was able to jam it into reverse, give it some gas and back it up the lift gate of my trailer, but it stalled as soon as I put on the brake. Thanks again very much for the help. Velasco

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I'll look for a "how to" video and give that a try- the belt does look a bit old. The gator will easily shift into forward or reverse, just grinds like hell when you try while running. I was able to jam it into reverse, give it some gas and back it up the lift gate of my trailer, but it stalled as soon as I put on the brake. Thanks again very much for the help. Velasco
Hey guys, I cleaned the clutch with hot water and blew it out. I then sprayed the inner part with wd40 and put some oil on the slides- still won’t move. The clutch will not budge, it doesn’t move when I rev the engine- is it just stuck you think? I took a video but can‘t seem to post.. Please advise.
Much thanks!!
Velasco

·
Administrator
3,821 Posts
Hey guys, I cleaned the clutch with hot water and blew it out. I then sprayed the inner part with wd40 and put some oil on the slides- still won’t move. The clutch will not budge, it doesn’t move when I rev the engine- is it just stuck you think? I took a video but can‘t seem to post.. Please advise.
Much thanks!!
Velasco
These clutch’s are designed to be operated without any lubricants including dry varieties. Lubricants contaminate the belt and cause dirt to collect.

You may have damage to the high/low shift collars in the transmission.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These clutch’s are designed to be operated without any lubricants including dry varieties. Lubricants contaminate the belt and cause dirt to collect.
Ok, I’ll rewash with hot soapy water and blow dry again. I’m guessing I may need to remove that dome looking cover and inspect and clean, what do you think?
Thanks,
Marc

·
Administrator
3,821 Posts
Ok, I’ll rewash with hot soapy water and blow dry again. I’m guessing I may need to remove that dome looking cover and inspect and clean, what do you think?
Thanks,
Marc
yes remove the cover, use a toothbrush to clean properly

·
Administrator
3,821 Posts
No that is not normal, the rollers have been damaged ( flat spots) and possibly the weights as well from grinding. It appears there could also be damage to the spider ?

On edit: Added marked up photo.

Finger Gas Auto part Engineering Nickel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No that is not normal, the rollers have been damaged ( flat spots) and possibly the weights as well from grinding. It appears there could also be damage to the spider ?
They don’t appear to be damaged- but I think I’m going to buy a new one and send this one to be rebuilt- any suggestions other than a new one from JD?

·
Administrator
3,821 Posts
They don’t appear to be damaged- but I think I’m going to buy a new one and send this one to be rebuilt- any suggestions other than a new one from JD?
Which component doesn’t appear to be damaged ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Which component doesn’t appear to be damaged ?
The spiders don’t appear to be damaged. I’m at JD now, they have one in stock here in Chico, CA and are letting me borrow the removal tool. Any suggestions on what to do with the old clutch? Rebuild or pitch it?
Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts