John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone installed a winch yet on the sport model? I purchased the winch and the front receiver but the instructions appear to be for a different model of gator. The dealer assures me that it's the correct kit so I'm guessing it just doesn't include instructions yet for the rsx. The other thing is that the kit comes with a remote dongle to operate it, I'm wondering if this is how it is on the trail model or if there is supposed to be a dash mounted button. I really don't want the dongle/remote for the winch hanging inside I'd like to have the in dash switch. Anyone have a trail model with the winch that can comment on how it's setup?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Seems JD has a habit of making accessories that can be retrofitted to other models BUT with additional parts NOT included in the kit. I found that out with my X728SE tractor. While the same accessory fit several models I also needed to buy more parts (bracket, hardware) to complete the installation of the remote chute control on my model. The JD dealer did not seem to know that when he sold me the kit because he insisted the kit had everything to completely install it. I had to go to another dealer and order the rest of the parts.

Don't know if this is what your situation is but you likely have to buy the dash switch and any associated parts to install it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply that's unfortunately what I was afraid of. Honestly I wouldn't have paid JD price for the winch if I would've known that was the case. The same winch can be purchased for about $300 less but I assumed that if it is was an installation kit it would be everything. Especially since the trail version comes with it and it's an option if you build your own RSX online. Oh well live an learn, just frustrating to pay a premium for something assuming that what you're getting for that premium is a direct plug & play.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Winch install

I'm surprised there aren't proper instructions included. Deere is usually very good about providing very detailed instructions, including photos. FYI, on the trail model, the remote for the winch plugs into a receptacle that is mounted in the back of the glove box. There is no dash mounted switch. Whenever you use a winch, you really need to be out in front of the vehicle so you can see what is going on. The remote allows you to do that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess having the remote makes sense, but I could see some scenarios where you wouldn't need to be outside the vehicle and a dash mount maybe in combination would be nice. For example we do a lot with the gator where my son is in front of the vehicle while I'm inside the vehicle so he's watching what's going on. Anyway it came with excellent instructions for installing on an XUV so my guess is that it's the same kit but they haven't revised the book yet to include the RSX given how new it is. Regardless I'll probably have the dealer install it simply because the machine needs to go back to them for a seal around the gas tank anyway and if I'm going to be without it for that much time I'd rather just have it all done. I have a bobcat I need to finish rebuilding anyway and time is a precious commodity.

Thanks for all the help it's at least good to hear that it seems to be the same setup as what they put on the trail model from the mfg.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I got the kit to install my Warn XT30 (winch from the ATV I sold for the RSX) and the kit is the same kit that fits the 550. The instructions are not all that well, but they work. UTV, Inc. just came out with a switch that will work for the winch and can be installed in the dash in one of the holes for a switch.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I bought the base RSX early last fall. Thought I could install a winch a little cheaper than what Deere was offering on the WARN. Anyway, I installed a Harbor Freight Badlands winch (3000 lb). Cost me about $160 with a two year warranty. I removed the floor boards, dropped the skid plate, and ran the wiring down the center by the radiator lines. Wired it up directly to the battery (the winch has an inline fuse), and mounted my switch on the metal just under the passenger seat. Additionally, I sprung for the $20 remote for the winch and have it handy in the glove box. Works like a charm!! Used it about 20 times so far. Never a problem. Very happy with the cheap winch thus far. The Harbor Freight people said the warranty is "no questions asked" and said if there was nothing wrong with the winch I could still return it at the end of the two year period for a new winch. This last part is what sold me.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Did not know that. Some Harbor Freight stuff is pure junk, some is ok. That last part would sell me also.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought a KFI winch and an aftermarket mount and it went in like butter. Very pleased. I had to remove bumper and skid plate but installation was easy the hard part was routing the wiring.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Pics please. would like to see how the aftermarket mount worked out for u.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Would like to see some pics if you have them!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts