John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a basic winch question.

Is there anything special you can do when you have to winch at an angle where the tree you are using as the anchor is off to one side so the line feeds more uniformly rather than bunching up on one end?

Given that your pull drops with each layer you obviously want to keep the rope feeding the uniformly on the drum.

My first thought is you basically winch as much as you can assuming you are making progress...stop, unfeed the slack to get back to original rope out, feed back uniformly on the drum until the slack is gone, and then repeat process. The caveats are the position needs to be stack..does not slide back after slacking ..and loss of any momentum is not lost.

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
869 Posts
A pulley and some extra straps to align the cable more directly with the winch would help but it's extra gear to carry.

I have synthetic line on my winch and feeding line back onto the winch by hand is a double edged sword. I can spread it across the drum but unless I'm doing it under controlled conditions I can't get it wound on with enough tension. When I put a hard load on the winch the line then cuts through the looser wound layers causing a bit of a mess. Winching in is not a problem but getting the line/cable pulled back out when I need it the next time can be a real bugger.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have those yet.

I will have to watch the issue about the outer layers feeding with more tension. When I fed them initially, I did it under slightly load (up hill to a tree) so it would wind under same pressure. The lesson is after it pull is to go back and feed it evenly for the next time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A snatch block will let double your pulling power and let you put out more line by bringing it back to hook up to your vehicle. You can also use a snatch block to hook to another vehicle, tree, land anchor in between to straighten out your pull.

In a lot of cases you just have to let it bunch up then rewind the winch later though.

When you are winding the line on the drum you want to make sure there is a strong load. A good way to do this is by holding the brakes while you wind the winch. Always helps to have two people for this.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a snatch block that would feed line and have more pull.

When I wind it, I had the gator on an incline so basically I winched it up a hill to feed tightly.

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
869 Posts
When I neaten up the winch I either attach my cable to a tractor and winch in against the brakes or drive it somewhere where I can attach the cable to a tree and pull the Gator uphill. Having it neat and wound nice and tight really pays off when you're stuck somewhere and don't want to deal with a jammed or tangled winch.

·
Registered
176 Posts
First things I bought for my winch was a Tree saver strap, a couple of snatch blocks, and several differant size D rings. I also replaced the galv. cable with synthetic rope. Synthetic rope is stronger than Galv. Cable, easier to work with, and much safer if it snaps.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have a tree saver strap and a D-ring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts