John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my winch installed this weekend but did not install the rope / hause until I had received the rubber winch stopper.

The Superwich rope comes with electrical tape on the end and goes through the hole. I played around with it a little while on the easiest way to feed it through and looking for a way to pull it through like with a spring hook. It just compresses and expands so does not fit through hole.

I searched online and one atv place said you may need to bore it out a hair to give it enough room to pull through. The rope is just taped to the drum.

·
Registered
904 Posts
It took 2 ppl for me. One person holding the rubber stopper, and the other put a long pair of needle nose pliers thru the rubber, grabed the rope, and pulled. Its a pain, but can be done.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It took 2 ppl for me. One person holding the rubber stopper, and the other put a long pair of needle nose pliers thru the rubber, grabed the rope, and pulled. Its a pain, but can be done.
I have not got to the stopper yet. I was looking at getting it through the hole in the drum.

Here is an image.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wasn't that fun getting the synthetic rope through the hole on the winch drum. I had 3/16 rope and I ran a 1/4" clearing the hole in the winch of any burs. There was a allen screw on my winch to lock the rope in place. I backed that out then cut the rope on a slant and tightly taped it. I was able to grab the end with a pair of needlenose pliers and pulled the line through. I tightened the screw cut off the excess. It held and I guided the rope onto the winch. It was a pain but it's done and the synthetic rope is so much easier to hand than the 5/32 galv. cable that came on the winch.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I was working with a XT30 Warn winch. Getting the line thru was nothing cause of the sleeve they put on the line, then you put a little ball in the groove, bend rop and stick in the hole and then pull the rope, but don't pull it to hard, then start winding. That was on a Warn winch.

I don't know how this winch is.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mission Accomplished.

I posted my winch install write up in a new thread but all I did was replace the tape applied to the end of the rope with a new wrap (less total wraps) using electrical tape and it pushed through very easily -- seconds after trying many minutes with the factory wrap. I taped it to the drum and wound it up !! Woo hoo!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Good deal!!!!!!!!!! I am glad you got her up and running. I hope you posted pics in the other thread!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts