John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 John Deere XUV550 (olive/black)
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last spring we got a used Gator XUV550, love it- put about 40 hours on it so far. Rather than winterize it and pull the battery I'm considering keeping it operational thru the winter months- stabilized fuel, firing it up every few days, etc.

What do most of you do? I assume it'll run fine in the snow, as long as it isn't 3' deep? I store in in a garage which is normally 25-35 degrees thru the winter.

Thanks, yes it;s a "noob question".

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
1,050 Posts
I run aviation gas (100LL) which is much more stabile than auto gas so it doesn't jell or varnish if it sits a few months without use. But, auto gas with stabilizer is ok. As long as it's charged you won't have to worry about the battery freezing.

I would not "fire it up" every few days. If you can't take it out for a drive just let it sit. If you drive it once a month that will be enough. Just make sure you drive long enough for the engine to get up to full temperature for 15 minutes or more, so a 20 minute drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great response from Dane. IME, the biggest issues with air cooled motors in the winter is running them but not getting it fully up to operating temp. If you don't you will get moisture in the oil and it will thin. Check oil regularly and check the bottom of oil filler cap for milky white crap. It is a good indicator to see if you are getting the engine fully warm or not. "Firing it up every few days" , just to let it idle is NOT recommended and will give you problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts