John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some lights and a day star light switch that I am going to install. Do I need a relay or can I just wire directly between lights, battery and switch?

·
Registered
242 Posts
What is the wattage of the light and the amp rating of the switch?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lights are 27w LED and switch is 20amp rocker switch.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you want to use the lights when switch is off then yes you can just wire from the battery to the switch to the light.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mean when the key is off?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yes sir

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help! I'll keep everyone posted on how the lights turn out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I wired all my LED Lights key on power ..Ground Controlled Thru a 5 Pin Relay....That's the safest and best Way...Just Time Consuming :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes Relay is all ways the best 30/40 amp is standard for lights, horn, and so on so you don`t burn out the switch enjoy and have fun

·
Registered
242 Posts
Tat...If your switch is rated for 20 amps and your lights pull approximately 2 amps how will you burn the switch out?

Fred... can you please explain Ground controlled with pin 5 and why that is the best way?

I not disagreeing or attacking...I'm just trying to learn and understand better...

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Install finished and they are BRIGHT! Can't even really tell when the factory lights are on.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Tat...If your switch is rated for 20 amps and your lights pull approximately 2 amps how will you burn the switch out?

Fred... can you please explain Ground controlled with pin 5 and why that is the best way?

I not disagreeing or attacking...I'm just trying to learn and understand better...

Thanks guys.
So you can take a Relay have it Carry the Load and your rocker switch be the Ground...Hence Ground Controll...Mainly used for Higher amp requirements....I use it for all my applications..Takes a lot of time and more wiring and I also Soder all my connectors with Shrink Tube..I work in the Automotive Field and this is a Solid method of Electrical installation

1 - 12 of 12 Posts