John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. a friend of mine has a late 90s 6x4 gas model gator and its not idleing correctly and also wont shift out of neutral without grinding gears. We haven’t been able to figure this out yet. HELP

·
Super Moderator
3,692 Posts
Hi. a friend of mine has a late 90s 6x4 gas model gator and its not idleing correctly and also wont shift out of neutral without grinding gears. We haven’t been able to figure this out yet. HELP
Have you tried throughly cleaning both clutch’s with hot soapy water and or non chlorinated brake cleaner followed by compressed air? You will need to remove the cover on the primary clutch and use a small nylon brush ( toothbrush) to really clean properly.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Brad hill,
Agree with cleaning is always a good thing and perhaps even consider part of general maintenance, but should the OP or others first verify it shifts ok when the engine is off?

Reactions: Bradhill

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
864 Posts
First, I would get the engine idling properly. The transmission can/should only shift when it's NOT turning. If the idle speed is too high the primary clutch will remain engaged and turn the transmission causing it to be hard to shift or to make nasty noises.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, I would get the engine idling properly. The transmission can/should only shift when it's NOT turning. If the idle speed is too high the primary clutch will remain engaged and turn the transmission causing it to be hard to shift or to make nasty noises.
Thanks i will work on that, we only use it like once a year if even that so the carb probably needs to be cleaned so I’m guessing thats my idle problem. Also do the 6x4 gator have bronze slip rings on them? I know that a clutch like the comet 30 series does but I didn’t see one on this one.

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
864 Posts
If you use it so rarely I would clean out the fuel system and only run 100LL Avgas (aviation gasoline) in it. It contains no alcohol and is engineered for long term storage without creating varnish and other things that gum up fuel systems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you use it so rarely I would clean out the fuel system and only run 100LL Avgas (aviation gasoline) in it. It contains no alcohol and is engineered for long term storage without creating varnish and other things that gum up fuel systems.
I will try to get him to do that. The closest gas station to him also sells non ethanol wills that work or does that have garbage in it too? I dont think there is a place that sells aviation gas anywhere near him

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brad hill,
Agree with cleaning is always a good thing and perhaps even consider part of general maintenance, but should the OP or others first verify it shifts ok when the engine is off?
It does shift when its not running, we think its the carb and i accidentally broke the fuel shut off switch while putting the carb back together so we need to replace that before i try to start it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you tried throughly cleaning both clutch’s with hot soapy water and or non chlorinated brake cleaner followed by compressed air? You will need to remove the cover on the primary clutch and use a small nylon brush ( toothbrush) to really clean properly.
I will work on that but i found that the only way to do that is to take the entire driverside drive train apart cause the drive chains are in the way lol

·
Super Moderator
3,692 Posts
It does shift when its not running, we think its the carb and i accidentally broke the fuel shut off switch while putting the carb back together so we need to replace that before i try to start it
I believe the root cause is likely the Primary Clutch is sticking. Cleaning may help, however you may need some professional assistance to address the root cause. Contact JD Clutch Doc for more information at [email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts