John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help. I thought the starter was bad and replaced it but still clicks when I try to start. After I stop trying to turn it over and try again, it doesn't even click. I have to let it sit for a whole to get it to do the clicking again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. It started fine one day. Then when I went to start it again that day it started this.

Sent from my iPhone using Off-Road Forums

·
Registered
242 Posts
Make sure to have a Fully charged Baterry, clean Pos and Gound cables real good..if this doesn't work .. jumper the pos to the solenoid to make sure its not the Starter you have just Installed..I have replaced many Bad..New Parts,,made in CHINA

·
Registered
176 Posts
My 550 s4 does that also. From lack of use the battery gets low. I have an engine start on my charger and it starts it right up. If the connections are good you might try that if your charger has one. A starter solenoid will cause it to do that also if it's seperate from the starter. I'm not sure on Gators. Also your charger should tell you if your battery will even take a full charge. If the battery won't take a charge the needle will jump back and forth and never settle down and start charging. If the battery is completely dead, and yours isn't, the needle will jump but after about 30 minutes start to charge. Any way that's how mine works.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure to have a Fully charged Baterry, clean Pos and Gound cables real good..if this doesn't work .. jumper the pos to the solenoid to make sure its not the Starter you have just Installed..I have replaced many Bad..New Parts,,made in CHINA

Not sure what you mean by jumper the pos to the solenoid. Sorry but can you help me out?

·
Registered
242 Posts
So if you look at the starter it should have a battery pos wire to it and a small wire going to the solenoid..Take the solenoid wire off and jumper the connector/ small stud to the Pos cable...or leave the solenoid wire on ...I do not know how much room you have to Jumper it...You can do the same with the old starter with a pair of jumper cables

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I jumped or bridged the positive post to the small wire post and the engine started turning over which is good. I them put it back to normal and tried with the key and it turned over fine. I don't get what the issue was. Any ideas? Don't want it acting up again.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Bendix?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Probably the start solenoid. The bendix is what pushes the starter gear into the flywheel which gets it turning. Sometimes they get dirty and stick, but if it was the bendix, it should still spin, just not engage. Sounds like your starter solenoid is bad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just put a new starter and Solenoid on it. Could it be the gears just needed to hook up for the first time or something?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Starters for those aren't cheap, i'd start with the solenoid first, since you got it to engage when you bypassed the solenoid.

Just my opinion
X2. key switch and connectors would be standard procedure to check next. Always work cheap to expensive unless your 100% sure then skip ahead.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You know it could be the starter contacts..or if when you put the wire back on the starter , its just now making a better connection...Just carry that Jumper wire with you when you go Riding

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hallelujah! We installed a "John Deere starting improvement relay" and it is the final answer to everyone's clicking problem! It prevents voltage drop during starting. We had this problem and read post after post. Many answers, but ALL had to do with components creating a small loss in voltage. I found a used one for $20, about half price on eBay. It is worth the full price though! Cranks right up and we don't even have to choke it now.
I'm taking time to register on every gator forum I can find to share this. Finally I can pay back so many who share their problems and solutions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts