John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning, All. I am asking if I should add StaBil fuel stabilizer to my Gator now. No plans on using it until the temperatures get back up into at least April. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Good Morning, All. I am asking if I should add StaBil fuel stabilizer to my Gator now. No plans on using it until the temperatures get back up into at least April. Thanks in advance.
ASAP !! I don't use it in vehicles I use regularly, but Gator, riding mower etc I always use SeaFoam as it has fuel stabilizer qualities as well as cleaning capabilities !! Craig

·
Super Moderator
3,028 Posts
Absolutely use a stabilizer, not a fan of Stabil though.

Also fill with non ethanol fuel.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Id skip the fuel stabilizer and go straight to non ethanol fuel.
Fuel stabilizer helps if you wish to use it anyway but my best bet if you are storing it is to winterize it with non ethanol fuel, run it empty and drain the float bowl.

Fuel stabilizer will help but if you know youre storing it why not go the extra bit to be on the safe side?

If i see correctly you have a 6x4 so its not hard to do at all on these machines

·
Registered
162 Posts
I lay up a 625 Gator Dec - March...I fill with non-enthanol, add Stabil as directed for longer term storage and connect up a trickle charger for the battery and confirm full antifreeze/coolant....this works for down to -25 degrees in unheated shed.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I lay up a 625 Gator Dec - March...I fill with non-enthanol, add Stabil as directed for longer term storage and connect up a trickle charger for the battery and confirm full antifreeze/coolant....this works for down to -25 degrees in unheated shed.
625 really is a different beast as its harder to reach everything.
On a 6x4 i could take the whole gas tank and carb out in 30 minutes if i wanted.
Now thats a bit exagerated but just to make a point.
If you can dry the carb up thats always the best solution

·
Registered
12 Posts
StaBil is a good product and has been around along time I have used it with good results but I do favor seafoam myself as it has additional properties that StaBil does not im in upstate New York and we both pretty much the same Winters so the choice of product is yours but I'd certainly use an additive hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its getting so that I use non ethanol fuel in the Gator and all my small engines year round. More expensive, yes but the headaches that come with ethanol fuel it's worth it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, all for your input. I did not know SeaFoam has such a product. I looked into non-ethanol fuel. I found it as high as $30 a gallon down to $79.00 for 5 gallons. And those are old prices. Interesting alternative for sure. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
3,028 Posts
.... I looked into non-ethanol fuel. I found it as high as $30 a gallon down to $79.00 for 5 gallons. And those are old....!

Holy cow where do you live? Here in Wyoming it is 3.60 gallon on the high side

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thank you, all for your input. I did not know SeaFoam has such a product. I looked into non-ethanol fuel. I found it as high as $30 a gallon down to $79.00 for 5 gallons. And those are old prices. Interesting alternative for sure. Thanks again!
You can get whole drums of race fuel delivered for cheaper than that lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In Rhode Island and central Connecticut fuel is high. I drove the fuel tanker to the Drag Strip in CT for years and supplied most all of the competitors with Cam2 back in the day. At our speed shop, we had Cam2 red right at the pump, purple in the drums. Not many "pure-gas" stations in New England yet. If you are right on the coast, gasoline is much higher than inland. On the coast is where the fuel comes in so they soak us hardest. Drive 15 miles inland and gas is .10 cheaper per gallon, go figure. Thanks for all of your suggestions!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Have to put my two cents on Sea Foam over StaBil. My Honda generator would gum up over time with StaBil, even when running it every month. I dumped Sea Foam in the tank and ran it. Over a 20 minute period, the Rev surging stopped and leveled out. Everything but the JD364 mower is diesel and a splash of Sea Foam keeps everything running like a top.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My experience with just the float bowl doesn't do it. It's the jets that clog. Some of my stuff has a fuel cut off and you just let the carb run dry. Honda mower carbs are notorious for clogging on a whim. That's why their operator's manual has a specific warning to run the carb dry, especially for winter storage. My old Wisconsin Robbin generator still runs like a top by running it dry. The small Honda generators do no have a fuel cutoff, hence get finicky. Regardless, a good fuel additive makes life easier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts