John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had shifting problems with my 2012 xuv 550 so clutch went of to the doc. It is now reinstalled and gator seems to shift well most of the time when running but bizarrely it now sometimes wont shift when the machine is off, sometimes shifts perfectly and other times shifts on dash but not at transmission and feels like cable just stretching?!? Any ideas? Doesnt really make sense to me that it is only when machine is shut off........

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
813 Posts
It sounds like a shift cable adjustment.

When the machine is running vibrations might help the shift linkage or transmission go that last tiny bit to shift. When off it's only the shift lever & cables doing the work.

----
The Gator's transmission is not synchronized like on a car. When you are at idle nothing in the transmission is turning. When you move the shift lever the gears come together. If the tooth of one gear happens to be aligned with the valley of the other gear it goes into gear nice & easy. If the two gears come together tooth to tooth it sort of hangs up and the gears are not engaged. If you push the Gator a little bit or gently give it gas the clutches will engage,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have suspected a cable issue all along. How delicate in your experience are the adjustments? Seems like no matter how small of an adjustment I make, the results are drastic.

·
Registered
813 Posts
It's a bit of a fussy adjustment and now that I think about it I never got it perfect. After having the Gator for 9 years I know every feel and sound of the machine so I think I subconsciously move the lever or give it a wiggle until I hear/feel the transmission go in or out of gear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks. I believe I have it to a point where I am reasonably happy. Sometimes takes a bit of finesse to get into neutral. Which now that I think of it my yamaha atv is the same im just so used to it as you say. I got a good enough deal on the gator that I think I can live with it and just hope im not getting into replacing shift collars. Curious what you would consider a large adjustment to the shift cable? Full turn, half turn, etc.? I can see where the position was previously marked with JD yellow paint and I am now 4 or 5 threads away from that location. Also could it be seasonal? Cold, ice? My problems started mid December (Canada).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts