Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SOLD

For Sale $500 SOLD
Briggs and Stratton model #355447
John Deere Part # MIA11558

Drive your Gator into water too deep and kill the engine? Here is the perfect replacement. This engine new from John Deere is $1'342.

This engine was removed running from a John Deere Gator XUV 550 with 100.3 hours. Why is the engine available? I re-engined my Gator with a larger, more powerful Honda engine. The thread showing the re-engine process can be found here. After removal I took the engine to my local authorized Deere Dealer to be checked out. They performed compression and blow down test and replaced both head gaskets with the new, trouble free ones. After their brief test run the engine has not run and is stored with all engine openings plugged.

The engine ran it's first 8 hours on traditional motor oil. Since it's first oil change it has been running full synthetic oil and had oil & filter changes at 50 and 100 hours. The engine is packaged inside a box and strapped to a small pallet for shipping. You can pick the engine up or it must ship via truck. Shipping is not included and if you wish to get a freight estimate it will ship from a commercial warehouse able to receive full size semi tractor trailers and has a forklift located in zip code 27573 (Roxboro, NC). The skid is 24" x 36" and weighs 150 pounds.

You may PM me through this forum or send an E-mail to me at dane*AT*dealassoc.com (replace the *AT* with the @ symbol).

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I received your PM but decided to reply here in case others are considering it. Do you have a machine shop or a way to fabricate any misc. spacers or brackets you might need? I want to make it perfectly clear that NOTHING will be a simple swap. You will have to do some custom fabrication and engineering. So, if you want more power and speed the easiest route it so sell the 550 and buy an RSX.

Going to a higher hp Vanguard engine will give you more torque but in stock form will actually lower your top end speed. Deere bumped up the max rpm of the Gator engine from 3'600 to 4'100 rpm. You could turn your new engine faster but you've got to increase it 500 rpm just to match the stock engine so I wouldn't turn it much faster without doing internal work to the engine.

The top speed of the Gator is largely baked in by the drivetrain. Turning the engine faster will get you more but the better route is to somehow change your final drive ratio. Bigger tires are the easiest. You could also research having some new gears made for the transmission.

Modify Existing Engine:
One option is to soup up your stock engine. The core engine is good and can be hot rodded. For a torque upgrade I would put on another carburetor. It doesn't matter what as almost anything would be an improvement. Any carburetor you choose will require making new intake pipes but if you pick a Briggs carb you can probably use the intake intended for it. You will also probably have to customize the throttle and choke cables.

If you want to turn the engine faster than 4'100 for more top end speed I would consider going to billet connecting rods and if you're considering going up around 6'000 I would install a billet flywheel or build a hefty guard to contain the stock one should it fail.

Engine Swap:
Oddly the first issue that comes to mind would be the clutch. The stock Briggs engine and clutch use a tapered shaft. You will have a difficult time finding a engine with that taper on the shaft so you'll either have to order the crank and swap it out or but a readily available engine with a straight shaft and keyway and get a new primary clutch. You might be able to put the stock crank in the new engine if you want to stay with the stock clutch.

Then the next problem becomes the intake. The carb Deere used in the 550 is a real oddball. Almost every other engine uses a side draft carburetor while the stock Gator has a downdraft which means the piping to connect to the air filter needs to be re-made which also opens a can of worms for things interfering.

Another issue comes up with the carburetor is hooking up the controls. The choke is easy as the stock cable is pretty long so chances are good you can re-route it. The stock throttle cable is pretty short so it's 50/50 at best if you can re-use it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SOLD

For Sale $500 SOLD
Briggs and Stratton model #355447
John Deere Part # MIA11558

Drive your Gator into water too deep and kill the engine? Here is the perfect replacement. This engine new from John Deere is $1'342.

This engine was removed running from a John Deere Gator XUV 550 with 100.3 hours. Why is the engine available? I re-engined my Gator with a larger, more powerful Honda engine. The thread showing the re-engine process can be found here. After removal I took the engine to my local authorized Deere Dealer to be checked out. They performed compression and blow down test and replaced both head gaskets with the new, trouble free ones. After their brief test run the engine has not run and is stored with all engine openings plugged.

The engine ran it's first 8 hours on traditional motor oil. Since it's first oil change it has been running full synthetic oil and had oil & filter changes at 50 and 100 hours. The engine is packaged inside a box and strapped to a small pallet for shipping. You can pick the engine up or it must ship via truck. Shipping is not included and if you wish to get a freight estimate it will ship from a commercial warehouse able to receive full size semi tractor trailers and has a forklift located in zip code 27573 (Roxboro, NC). The skid is 24" x 36" and weighs 150 pounds.

You may PM me through this forum or send an E-mail to me at daneATdealassoc.com (replace the AT with the @ symbol).

How much

·
Administrator
4,314 Posts
Reactions: Dave Jr
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.