John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to find a replacement engine for a 2012 XUV 550 4x4. Got a bad knocking noise and I’m pretty sure it’s toast. Can anybody recommend a engine I can buy and swap it myself? Should I go to JD or is there a better after market option, I don’t want to fabricate parts to make one fit, just want to pull existing and drop in new one. Thanks

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Given you're last statements above, I'd go to JD for a direct replacement. Suggest checking out some of the forum supporters as they offer members a small discount.

Any speculation on what caused the knock?

·
Super Moderator
3,046 Posts
Totally agree with @200mph comment, I will add that I do not believe you will find a “drop in” aftermarket engine. Things to mention which I believe you are aware of is clutching, engine mounts, exhaust, etc. all must line up perfectly.

Try looking at Green Farm Parts-use code GTT for a discount or Green Parts Store for pricing comparison

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Given you're last statements above, I'd go to JD for a direct replacement. Suggest checking out some of the forum supporters as they offer members a small discount.

Any speculation on what caused the knock?
thanks for the reply, the likely culprit is me and lack of maintenance. It was bought used about a year ago and it ran pretty good. Then one day I started hearing a strange noise and checked oil and it was barely on the stick. Its progressively gotten worse so I’m assuming it’s on it’s last leg.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Considering the list price of the Engine is just south of $1,400, you might want to keep up with the maintenance next time. :)

Let us know how the swap goes along with some photos of the progress.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Considering the list price of the Engine is just south of $1,400, you might want to keep up with the maintenance next time. :)

Let us know how the swap goes along with some photos of the progress.

Good luck!
Hard lesson to learn for sure. I'll try to get some pics of the engine swap, likely going to be a couple weeks before I can do it though. I talked to the dealer today and they have to order the engine and have it shipped down to me in Texas from Illinois. Earliest I could get it would be next Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'll probably start pulling the old engine this weekend and be prepared to drop in the new one when it arrives. Should be fun :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spent much of my day last Saturday tearing out the old engine. Basically had to take off every piece of plastic surrounding the seat and fenders wells.

Once we got all the plastic off and could get to the engine, the removal was not terrible. Getting the bottom plastic shroud off the clutch housing was kind of difficult, but once I realized i needed to drop the bottom skid plate it came out relatively easy.

Removing the clutch was interesting, didn't realize when I began that I would need a special tool to get it off. I called up my nearest JD dealer and they loaned me the tool, but it ended up being the wrong one and was too big. So I reverted to youtube for alternative methods. There was one guy who filled the shaft with some sort of liquid and that looked dumb, so I didn't go that route. Then I found another that made more sense. Find the bolt with the right thread, which was a 9/16-18, cut down a 1/2" rod that slides in but still leaves enough thread, and as you thread the bolt into the clutch the rod pushes against the shaft and voila, it popped right off. That saved me another trip to the dealer (1 hour round trip) and only cost $5 at Ace.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My closest JD dealer didn't have the replacement engine in stock, and would take a week to get it. It was only 1.5 hour drive to where it was so it made more sense to just go pick it up myself, so that's what I did.

I was really surprised but we didn't have any troubles at all with the install, it just dropped right in, hardest part was lining up the clutch plate bolts to the engine block, after that it was cake. Unfortunately I was dirty and sweating like a pig in the shop and didn't take any pics of the install. Apologies for that!

Another surprise was the engine itself, it had everything. The only part I had to swap from the old engine was the breather attachment for the carburetor. Once we got the wiring done and filled it up with oil we were ready to fire it up. Turned the key and nothing happened, what the hell!!!

So spent the next 20 minutes going back over the wiring, looking at everything and then realized I didn't plug the cable back into the starter, what a dummy!

After that got hooked back up she fired right up, success!!! Everything is running good and the engine sounds great! I'll put 8 hours on it to break it in then change the oil.

That was a $1400.00 mistake I'll never make again (hopefully).

·
Registered
9 Posts
My closest JD dealer didn't have the replacement engine in stock, and would take a week to get it. It was only 1.5 hour drive to where it was so it made more sense to just go pick it up myself, so that's what I did.

I was really surprised but we didn't have any troubles at all with the install, it just dropped right in, hardest part was lining up the clutch plate bolts to the engine block, after that it was cake. Unfortunately I was dirty and sweating like a pig in the shop and didn't take any pics of the install. Apologies for that!

Another surprise was the engine itself, it had everything. The only part I had to swap from the old engine was the breather attachment for the carburetor. Once we got the wiring done and filled it up with oil we were ready to fire it up. Turned the key and nothing happened, what the hell!!!

So spent the next 20 minutes going back over the wiring, looking at everything and then realized I didn't plug the cable back into the starter, what a dummy!

After that got hooked back up she fired right up, success!!! Everything is running good and the engine sounds great! I'll put 8 hours on it to break it in then change the oil.

That was a $1400.00 mistake I'll never make again (hopefully)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good job MattMan. Very informative thread. I'm removing my engine also. How did you get to the back exhaust manifold bolts. Did you have to remove the rear clutch/pulley assembly and the backing plate?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good job MattMan. Very informative thread. I'm removing my engine also. How did you get to the back exhaust manifold bolts. Did you have to remove the rear clutch/pulley assembly and the backing plate?
Thanks Ken, if I remember correctly I believe we left the back manifold in place, then we lifted the engine out just enough to clear the clutch plate for removal. The front one was easy so we removed it, that gave us enough room to kind of tilt the motor a bit to allow the back some wiggle room during the lift.

edit: You can see in the 2nd to last pic the back manifold is still bolted on.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Congrats on being back up and running and reporting back your fix.

In the event anyone needs to reference the homemade clutch tool it can be found here: Homemade Clutch Tool

Reactions: Bradhill
1 - 12 of 12 Posts