John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody! I’ve been working on modifying my 2016 XUV 550. So far, I’ve had my clutch tuned by the “Clutch Doctor,” bumped the front shocks up a notch, installed a horn, installed a JD front receiver/winch mount, installed a Warn VRX 35-S winch, added LED brush guard lights, put lighted rocker switches in the dash, and threw on a rear view mirror. I’m very happy with how it all looks and, more importantly, how it is all performing.

I gotta say, I see a lot of negativity directed towards the 550 on the internet and forums, but I’m loving this tough little buggy. I own 200 acres and, so far, it’s easily handled everything I’ve thrown at it. So, I thought I’d share some pics...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,558 Posts
Hi everybody! I’ve been working on modifying my 2016 XUV 550. So far, I’ve had my clutch tuned by the “Clutch Doctor,” bumped the front shocks up a notch, installed a horn, installed a JD front receiver/winch mount, installed a Warn VRX 35-S winch, added LED brush guard lights, put lighted rocker switches in the dash, and threw on a rear view mirror. I’m very happy with how it all looks and, more importantly, how it is all performing.

I gotta say, I see a lot of negativity directed towards the 550 on the internet and forums, but I’m loving this tough little buggy. I own 200 acres and, so far, it’s easily handled everything I’ve thrown at it. So, I thought I’d share some pics...

It’s amazing how well they run with a properly operating clutch

·
Super Moderator
3,558 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You are welcome, Brad! You are also correct about the clutch tuning. My little 550 is a great machine now thanks to you and Doc. I have really been enjoying it! It will certainly never win any races, but pushing 30 mph is adequate for me in 98% of the situations I find myself in and for the terrain I am traversing.

·
Super Moderator
3,558 Posts
Any tips on removing the clutch? I need to pull mine and send it in

There is a video on uTube of a member here removing a primary clutch on a 550.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Any tips on removing the clutch? I need to pull mine and send it in
As Brad stated above, the video on YouTube is very helpful. It isn’t really a fun job, but if you’re having shifting issues, you won’t regret doing it. You’ll need to either make or buy the puller tool. Search for threads on here that explain. I was able to make mine for around $9 by ordering the two needed bolts from Fastenal and having a buddy, who owns a lathe, do the machining work to the one bolt. The attached picture is what I used. A much cheaper, and just as effective an option, than the actual JD tool.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts

What brand led lights did you get?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts