John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am new here and found the forum as a result of recently acquiring a 2012 XUV 550.

The Gator was used on a ranch, where they forgot to check the oil. They were told the engine was seized and that it would cost $1,600 for a replacement, so they let it sit for a couple of years.

I bought it as-is and drug it home. I drained the fuel, dropped-in two new plugs, a new battery and some Lucas synthetic oil. It fired right up with no rod knock, or any other weird noise(s) I anticipated.

However, with the air box and filter removed, if you hold your hand just above the carburetor throat when it is running, you can feel a slight bit air on the exhaust stroke. And, a little bit of light vapor/smoke upon deceleration. Is this normal for a CA emission rig? Maybe the valves sustained damage, if indeed, they ran it with little or no oil for too long?

Then engine is the Briggs / Vanguard #355447. I have yet to find a service manual for it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Do a compression or preferably a leak down test and report what you find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do a compression or preferably a leak down test and report what you find.
Compression was 150lbs in each cylinder.

While investigating further and since the engine sounded and idled normal with no odd noises, I let it warm up for a bit. While doing so, I noticed more and more smoke that appeared to be coming from the left-front side of the engine, near or below the cylinder cooling fins. I didn't have time to take it apart any further, but I suspect this is why someone thought the engine was damaged.

It may simply be a gasket leaking oil. Fingers crossed.

Are the case gaskets known to leak?

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts