John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My XUV 550 isn’t idling. It starts right up and runs well but won’t idle. Once I take my foot off the accelerator it stalls. What steps should I follow to repair this?

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
888 Posts
First determine if it's something simply like adjusting the idle speed screw on the carburetor.

If you hold your foot on the gas to maintain an idle how is the idle? Is it nice and smooth like it should be or is it rough and sputtering?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First determine if it's something simply like adjusting the idle speed screw on the carburetor.

If you hold your foot on the gas to maintain an idle how is the idle? Is it nice and smooth like it should be or is it rough and sputtering?
It is a bit rough and sputtering. I checked the air filter and it is good. Thought I’d Chang e plugs too.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Start paying attention for signs of a blown head gasket. It's difficult for an engine to loose it's idle speed setting but the earlier models had a problem with blowing head gaskets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Start paying attention for signs of a blown head gasket. It's difficult for an engine to loose it's idle speed setting but the earlier models had a problem with blowing head gaskets.
Those signs would be?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Look for a rough idle and it acting like it's running rich. Doesn't like to idle for long periods and might "load up". The spark plugs might be getting fouled. You can also remove the dipstick while the engine is idling. A amount of smoke will blow out of the dipstick tube on a good engine but with a blown head gasket it might blow quite strongly and with a lot of smoke.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts