John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2012 XUV 550 S4 that had a catastrophic failure (think it threw a rod through the casing). I called our local JD dealer and they mentioned Briggs & Stratton no longer manufactures that specific motor. Looking for any thoughts / leads if someone knows where I can buy a used engine or similar engines that can be swapped with minimal customization. Appreciate any and all help.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The core engine is a pretty standard Vanguard. The key for use in your Gator is the crank shaft which has a tapered end that mates to the clutch. You could buy a Vanguard and install the crank from your old engine so you can use the Deere clutch. Or, When I swapped engines I installed a standard engine with a straight shaft & keyway and bought an aftermarket clutch that would match.

The second are a of difference is the carburetor. Deere uses a small downdraft carburetor where a replacement Vanguard will have a larger horizontal draft carb. You can swap carbs so you can use your stock intake piping without modification or go with the Briggs carb and come up with your own way to filter the air.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I forgot to mention that you should also look for engine race shops to repair and upgrade your engine. I used to race karts and would blow at least one engine a year. They can weld the case closed and when reassembling the engine they can upgrade some components like the connecting rods for reliability.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dane, I called Briggs & Stratton and they gave me the same answer. Going to try a local small engine shop and see if they are able to fix it. I might have to keep looking for other options though, the hole in the casing is the size of a half dollar coin.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Do you know what caused your engine to blow? Lack of oil, did you remove the governor, or just a bad part?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts