John Deere Gator Forums banner

XUV 550 S4 wont go

5K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Fiveoracing 
#1 ·
My gator will start and idle just fine. When I press the throttle it dies (just like when i press it when the parking brake is engaged). I am starting through relay testing (learned.that my gator doesn't have a fuel shutoff solenoid) and it is tedious. Any troubleshooting advice?

#2 ·
When the engine dies, are you in gear or neutral when depressing on the accelerator ?

#3 ·
When the engine dies, are you in gear or neutral when depressing on the accelerator ?
Does it in all.transmission positions. All throttle, choke, and transmission linkages and actions work fine. I'm going to check.the.fuel system again and blow out the lines. I just tuned it up two months ago so I'm sure it wont be the issue but I prefer that to electrical troubleshooting!

#4 ·
Have you checked the CVT belt ?

#8 ·
Yes the drive belt and CVT are the same.

#9 ·
Have you confirmed the Park brake is fully disengaging and Checked both the brake and parking brake switches?

#10 ·
Yep and both function properly. I checked the fuel lines and blew some low pressure air through them. Nothing in them.
I took the carburetor off and it was quite gunked up. Cleaned it and it started working. Air, spark, and fuel fix nearly everything. When I tuned it up a few months ago I didn't dig into the carburetor and I guess I should have. Oh well, I learned a ton about the electrical and I'm sure it'll come in handy someday.
Thanks for sticking with

#12 ·
When cleaning carb I assume you mean it was disassembled and each passage cleaned and verified to be free flowing.

#15 · (Edited)
Unplug the o2 sensor if it has one.,and if it runs good, albeit rich, then you need a new o2 sensor. The sensor is located on the manifold under the front seat or further back if you have an S4, just follow the wire up to the plug. JD doesn't call it an 02 sensor, but it's essentially the same thing.
Please help me understand how this is relevant when they state it is running OK in the post prior to yours and it has a carb. Do they use an O2 sensor with carb on this model?Just trying to learn something from your reply. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.