John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 XUV550 S4 and I bought a SuperATV power steering kit (PS-JD-G13-002). Has anyone had luck installing one of these? The teardown was more involved than the instructions indicated, but generally went fine except the for choke cable. I had to loosen it from the motor at the rear to give enough slack to lay the dashboard aside. Oh, and the steering wheel is a bear. My firewall angles into the cab area and doesn't give enough room for the motor and the driveshaft that goes from the rack and pinion to the power steering motor is too short I think because of the angle in the firewall. The universal joint ends in the middle of the firewall. Did they send me the wrong kit?

Attachments

·
Official Site Vendor
91 Posts
Hey! Install kind of sucks for power steering, but its sooooo worth it in the end. You probably have the right kit, but machine to machine variations are pretty funky when it comes to the firewall, If you need a little more clearance for the shaft through the firewall, just cut the firewall to clear it. Seems like I see it quite often with the JD Gators. There are a plumb million different gator models, and they all vary greatly. The worst part of the install is getting all the plastics off and back on. You're in the home stretch now. Just make sure everything is super loose before tightening any of the bolts down.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Jd mechanic here: variations in the firewall? what the h? Not familiar.
Cutting stuff, yes totally familiar though.

Not to be that guy but we only carry a small amount of stock for steering racks and shafts because the variation is quite small, even on the firewall.
And iam talking about all models here.

But bearing in mind that its a universal kit some slight fabrication might be the norm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, the install is complete. The two "landmines" in my opinion are the choke cable and the steering wheel. I had to make a metal bracket the fit behind the steering wheel for my puller to attach. The steering wheel is fused on and no amount of hammering and prying would get it off. The second is the choke cable. I didn't have enough slack to lay the dashboard aside so I unhooked the other end back on the motor and pulled about 12" out which gave me slack. I was replacing my throttle cable at the same time so I had the bed and airbreather off anyway. The instructions didn't mention cutting the plastic firewall, but that was necessary in my case. I covered the firewall hole back up with used round baler belt that we have laying around. Overall it was well worth it though. The gator steers so easy now my wife could (could...not that she will) drive it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
Nice work!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts