John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the gator forum. I have a brand new 550 with only 4 hours on it. The wife used it yesterday and it was fine, pulled it in the garage and parked it. Today it will only move in reverse, no forward. It makes a grinding sound when you put it in high or low. No difference in 4wd either. Any thoughts or folks out there that have had similar problems?

I've had it back to the dealership once already for a carb. problem and now this. It was a Christmas present that's looking like it's gonna be a lemon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 825i and the 550s4 on order. Need the s4 when hunting with more than 2 people. I'm starting to get worried about the low horse power and other problems I'm reading on the Internet. Love my 825i. Someone make me feel better...lol. Or should I cancel my order and go to the Polaris 800 crew??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll let you know more tomorrow. The dealership is closed today for the holiday. I looked a little closer, the noise is coming from behind the plastic cover over the drive belt. I did get my hand in thru the inspection area under the bed and the belt seems fine. I guess something has come loose behind the cover fouling things up. There's too many screws holding the cover on and they are hard to get to, so I'll just wait for the dealer to look at it. Guess I would have thought 10K would have bought something nice and not two trips to the shop in a week.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Keep us posted on the issue jtt555. Very interested to hear whats wrong and what they do about it.

I have the XUV 550 and so far the only major trouble has been a parking break adjustment. Other than that, I have been happy.

Univoftvol, so far I am happy with my unit. It is a two seater, not the S4. It has plenty of power for what I use it around the house and woods here. We have a coulple of tractors so we dont use the Gator for any heavy work. I did pull a maple top up out of the woods just to see if it could. Never spun a tire and pulled it to the field without any trouble. Not going to beat up the Gator doing that all of the time, that was not the intent of the crossover vechiles.

Need to remember it is just a big 4 wheeler not a bulldozer or tractor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sidebite,

Thanks much! I have the 825i and it's tough for sure. The S4 will be utilized to carry as many as 4 men and gear. Usually through the hills of Tennessee and parts of Alabama. My 825i has 50 hp. The S4 has 16....the Polaris 800 four seater has 40 and it's fuel injected. The S4 has a carb system. As long as i hear my friends on the Gator forum that have these kind of units and say go i will feel better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sidebite,

Thanks much! I have the 825i and it's tough for sure. The S4 will be utilized to carry as many as 4 men and gear. Usually through the hills of Tennessee and parts of Alabama. My 825i has 50 hp. The S4 has 16....the Polaris 800 four seater has 40 and it's fuel injected. The S4 has a carb system. As long as i hear my friends on the Gator forum that have these kind of units and say go i will feel better.
After reading this, my concern for you would be, that you are used to some higher power machines. You may not like the smaller xuv. Kind of like going from a full size truck down to a compact truck. Or maybe a two door dually down to a four door suv. It will get you there, but maybe not tow the boat at the same time. The compact is great for my use, but your demands may be greater.

Didn't JD announce they are making the 4 seater in the 825i and 855 series? They either introduced them or they are going to! That may meet your expectations better!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it back from the dealer today. The service manager said the bolt that holds the clutch on backed out. Said he's never seen this happen before. We'll give it another try and see what happens. Maybe they put some lock-tight on it....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Transmission trouble

I have 33 hours on my 550, today the transmission went out. There was a rattling in the back for a moment then it stopped. It is well taken care of and used for light maintenance around the house and large yard.:(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not what I wanted to hear. My 825i has been put though the paces and performed great. I was hoping the 550 would do the same. It does have John Deere as the name plate. What is the dealer saying

·
Registered
2 Posts
550 transmission

Repairman from the dealership said there have been issues with the 550 4 wheel drive transmissions, and now I wait for repairs and a call to pick it up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts