John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's 16HP so given the weight and load, I'd expect it to slow down a lot. My 855D and 865R are 23HP diesels and they slow down considerably. I put a turbo on the 855D and it only slows down 2mph going up my local hill now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's 16HP so given the weight and load, I'd expect it to slow down a lot. My 855D and 865R are 23HP diesels and they slow down considerably. I put a turbo on the 855D and it only slows down 2mph going up my local hill now.
There's no weight or load rebuilt motor dont have bed on yet revs up fine in neutral no odd sounds or back firing just any incline slight slows way down

·
Super Moderator
3,357 Posts
Have you checked the condition of the belt ?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
FYI. Belts have a minimum width specification. It can be found in the operators manual.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
3,357 Posts
Don't

Don't have one
Link to operators manual below, also unlike automobiles the Date of Manufacture has little value if you should need to purchase any parts or manuals for your Gator. Deere uses the Product Identification Number or PIN for reference to their part numbers.

·
Super Moderator
3,357 Posts
Looked fine when putting it on dont no how old belt is
A belt may look “fine” or actually be within the minimum specifications however; once a belt has been glazed it will no longer grab the clutch sheaves as it should and will degrade the performance of the Gator.

·
Registered
781 Posts
If you've never replaced the drive belt. Have a relaxing adult beverage first as it can be frustrating. Not that it's particularly difficult but it can be a annoying to get to. In addition to a Torx bit in a cordless drill for the body panels I found a 1/4" drive ratchet, several extensions & universal joint made getting the screws of the clutch cover a bit easier. Some are easier to reach from the rear of the machine. Then the top plastic won't come out. Put on some gloves, grab hold and convince it to come out. It will fit and so far I've not broken mine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you've never replaced the drive belt. Have a relaxing adult beverage first as it can be frustrating. Not that it's particularly difficult but it can be a annoying to get to. In addition to a Torx bit in a cordless drill for the body panels I found a 1/4" drive ratchet, several extensions & universal joint made getting the screws of the clutch cover a bit easier. Some are easier to reach from the rear of the machine. Then the top plastic won't come out. Put on some gloves, grab hold and convince it to come out. It will fit and so far I've not broken mine.
I have all the panels still off just rebuilt the motor and new carborator had to re jet it they sent it at sea level

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have all the panels still off just rebuilt the motor and new carborator had to re jet it they sent it at sea level
Do you have to remove clutch to remove the belt and install it when put old one on i put around the clutch i already had off

·
Registered
781 Posts
No, both clutches must be installed before the belt. It's a bit of a knuckle buster but you can get it in place. The first time I just muscled and cursed. The second time I cheated a bit and put the belt over the primary/drive clutch and made sure it was all the way at the bottom. Put the Gator into gear and attached my winch to something. Then as I held the belt on the secondary/driven clutch. Then I tapped the winch button to pull the Gator which turns the secondary clutch. If you do it right the belt walks right around the secondary and into place.

·
Registered
781 Posts
"...just rebuilt the motor and new carborator..."
Can you believe they used that tiny 1" diameter air intake. I don't know what they were thinking when they designed that. It's got to hurt power. They've got a huge air filter and big plenum then to choke the air supply at the end like that is criminal.

The first photo is the Deere intake. The second photo is the stock intake inside the one I made for the Honda GX630 in mine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm wondering if I have faulty magneto now back spark plug was black no oil on it put new plug in and there was gas on it today when I pulled the plug out

·
Registered
781 Posts
You must be a private pilot or work on really old cars to even know what a magneto is.

Are you getting spark at the back plug?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts