John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my XUV 835 M.....Because of the location of the airbox inlet and because it is pointed at the rear wheel, the air filter loads up very quickly with dirt and dust. On a gravel road, my air filter if fully loaded with dust, in 30 minutes, even when traveling at very low speed. I have been cleaning the filter every other day. So, I have been looking for a fix.
I saw one post on this forum where the gentleman ran the inlet pipe into the storage compartment under the passenger seat. I am very concerned about restricting the air flow, but would probably be ok with this modification if a couple of 2” holes was drilled in the compartment wall for increased air flow. But then I am not sure about having the engine air intake located inside the passenger compartment. I have never seen a vehicle that has the air intake in the passenger compartment.
So.... working with Tim at Outerwear, a pre filter company, I sent him one of my filters, and he made a pre filter specifically for our air filter. I am including a picture of the final product . I installed the filter and pre filter in the machine today, and will report back with an evaluation.

Any body else have other ideas that would help keep the filter clean ? Or, any comments about running the inlet into the storage compartment as mentioned above ?
Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
I’m the one that run it into the passenger under seat storage bin. I have had it like this for probably 100 hrs and my air filter is as clean as ever. I think the only dust that gets in comes through the rubber dust vent on the bottom of filter housing. I’m thinking about just putting a 2” plug over it. I don’t think it really restricts the air at all. I have had no problems. The outerwears prefilter is a great idea but your still gonna get a lot of dirt in there and surround the prefilter and restrict even more air in my opinion. Either way I don’t think you’ll restrict it enough on this little engine to hurt anything. Time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rock... you are probably right. And I will probably do exactly like you did. I would probably drill a couple of holes, just because it doesn’t cost anything. I cannot think of any other way to fully solve the problem.

I will keep you posted....

Joe

·
Registered
58 Posts
The only other way would be to run the intake all the way to the front up under the hood like Polaris but that would be more work than it’s worth.

·
Registered
2019 835M
30 Posts
John Deere has a intake relocation for the 835 up the back side of the cab. Having it install. Will be nice not to change the filter on dusty trail all the time

·
Registered
2021 XUV835R
16 Posts
John Deere has a intake relocation for the 835 up the back side of the cab. Having it install. Will be nice not to change the filter on dusty trail all the time
Is the air filter relocation kit for the xuv835 available at dealership yet? If so do you have the part number so I can order one? I ask my dealer month ago when I bought my new gator and he knew nothing about it I show him pictures of what your talking about he said it after market but you and others say John Deere has a kit. Please help on more info to purchase this kit I love to have one on mine as well. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,428 Posts
Is the air filter relocation kit for the xuv835 available at dealership yet? If so do you have the part number so I can order one? I ask my dealer month ago when I bought my new gator and he knew nothing about it I show him pictures of what your talking about he said it after market but you and others say John Deere has a kit. Please help on more info to purchase this kit I love to have one on mine as well. Thanks
I borrowed this information from a Facebook John Deere Gator group. This is a NOT an aftermarket kit.

·
Registered
2019 835M
30 Posts
Got it installed picking it up tomorrow. My dealer said there would be no charge.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it installed picking it up tomorrow. My dealer said there would be no charge.
Talked to my dealer today. He quoted me $237.00. I feel Deere should give it to us all free. After all, they are correcting their design flaw.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only other way would be to run the intake all the way to the front up under the hood like Polaris but that would be more work than it’s worth.
Hey Rock, Have you seen the new intake mod ? I like the intake mod you helped me with better. No rain water, no bugs, no debris...what do you think .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts