John Deere Gator Forums banner

XUV 835m roof light wiring instructions

20K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Kev 
#1 ·
I have the switch and after market LED lights. Can someone talk me through the wiring process. Where do I find the leads that attach to the switch and what color are they? Once the switch is installed, are the pre-installed wires to the roof lights hot?

#2 ·
Front or rear ? Do you have the harness place already? If so I used a tester and figured it out. As I remember the wires were also color coded? If you have the oem harness in place they once you determine the wires for the switch and the lights yes it lights when key and switch are on. If it didn’t mean dash removal I’d look at mine and offer more help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I have the switch and after market LED lights. Can someone talk me through the wiring process. Where do I find the leads that attach to the switch and what color are they? Once the switch is installed, are the pre-installed wires to the roof lights hot?

Front or rear ? Do you have the harness place already? If so I used a tester and figured it out. As I remember the wires were also color coded? If you have the oem harness in place they once you determine the wires for the switch and the lights yes it lights when key and switch are on. If it didn’t mean dash removal I’d look at mine and offer more help

Front. I don’t know if I need a harness or not, the salesman said the XUV 835 came pre-wired for accessories. I don’t know what that entails. To me, pre-wired means the harness is already there. There are two unused plugs, one on each side, right where the lights attach to the roof. If I can figure out how to get power to them, I’m good to go from there. My goal is to add LED lights for around $100.00 instead of the $350.00 John Deere wants for the light kit. If anyone has the installation instructions for the JD light kit that would be helpful.

#4 ·

Front. I don’t know if I need a harness or not, the salesman said the XUV 835 came pre-wired for accessories. I don’t know what that entails. To me, pre-wired means the harness is already there. There are two unused plugs, one on each side, right where the lights attach to the roof. If I can figure out how to get power to them, I’m good to go from there. My goal is to add LED lights for around $100.00 instead of the $350.00 John Deere wants for the light kit. If anyone has the installation instructions for the JD light kit that would be helpful.

I added the rigid lights from amazon. Can you send picture of the connectors you have ? I have an 835m and so far have bought i think 3 additional harnesses to get done what I wanted to connect You should find a plug that goes into the switch inside the top of the dash with a light icon on it get a battery and test light and you should be able to determine which one you need to add the switch onto. On the M it seems ore wired has the switch connectors but depending on what you are connecting you may need more harnesses. I added the harness for the wiper, back lights, and turn signals

#5 ·
This is what I`ve got. First picture is the plug near the roof, blue and black wires. Picture two shows the plugs behind the center of the dash. Both have light symbols on them, the white one has blue, black and yellow wires going into it. I`m GUESSING that is the one that runs to the roof connector. Now, can I just plug the white connector into a switch? If so, does anyone have a part number for that switch? Or do I still need some additional wire harness?

Attachments

#7 ·
if you want to match the plugs you find on the roof, here is what I posted in another thread :

For the Front / Rear work lights and the brush guard lights, you will want to buy Deustche DTM04-2P connectors, and put those on the lights that you end up purchasing. If you search ebay for item 282979160003 , that is the listing I purchased 6 from. You can make an offer for a little less per item and probably get it accepted.
You can drop a little solder in the pins that come with the kits, then put the stripped wire ends from your after market lights into the pins as you heat the pins to solder them in -- i highly recommend doing this vs crimping them, but that's up to you. The connectors *can* be taken back apart after assembling, but you'll probably need a magnifying glass to figure out how.

*also -- if you don't get the Deere switches you'll want to get a housing (the white and green connectors in your pictures) that matches the switches you buy -- the Contra 5 switches don't exactly match the Deere housings. Easiest thing would be buy the Deere switches, especially if you want the color to match.

#8 ·
Work light success! Hope this may help someone in the future. I bought 7 inch LEDs on E-bay they fit almost perfectly. I had to trim about 3/8 inch off the top of the opening on the roof using a dremel tool. Soldered female Deutsch DTM connectors to mate up with the JD connector. The female connector DOES NOT fit through the hole provided by JD. You have to thread the LED wires through the hole then solder on the connector. The switch is part #AM147350 and plugs into the white connector on the right side of the dash. LEDs look great, very bright and total cost was less then $100.00.

#9 ·
Work light success! Hope this may help someone in the future. I bought 7 inch LEDs on E-bay they fit almost perfectly. I had to trim about 3/8 inch off the top of the opening on the roof using a dremel tool. Soldered female Deutsch DTM connectors to mate up with the JD connector. The female connector DOES NOT fit through the hole provided by JD. You have to thread the LED wires through the hole then solder on the connector. The switch is part #AM147350 and plugs into the white connector on the right side of the dash. LEDs look great, very bright and total cost was less then $100.00.
It might be helpful for future readers who want to learn from your efforts if you post the part number and link for the connector.

Curious... Do you lights work with key off?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.