John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad has a XUV850D that was purchased used a few years ago. Recently it has been having issues with overheating. Changed thermostat, Temp sensor near thermostat, water pump, bled lines, checked all fuses. NO FIX. I have no idea what else to do. Fan comes on when supposed to, but coolant still seems to not be flowing. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Could the rad be caked with dirt preventing good heat exchange, try to clean it the outside fins with soapy water.
Actually before you do this while gator risk running spray / mist cold water on the rad to see if temperature comes down.

Not knowing how it is driven on the diesel motor. Is the belt that drives the water pump tight enough? Could the belt be routed the wrong way?
Could you rig up a drill to it to spin only the pulley from the pump to see if it flows in the rad with the cap off to observe flow.

I have seen bad thermostats from the supplier, put it in a pot of boiling water to see if it opens. Don't use the wife's best pan.

Hopefully you don't have a head gasket leak, no coolant in oil?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the belts are tight and pulleys moving properly, radiator was blown off and it was still over heating. I changed the temperature sensor by the thermostat again and now it seems to be working good but radiator has steam coming out of it. I’m assuming it’s the radiator cap is failing so I ordered a new cap to see if it’s over pressurizing since nothing is flowing into the overflow reservoir.

·
Super Moderator
3,640 Posts
So the belts are tight and pulleys moving properly, radiator was blown off and it was still over heating. I changed the temperature sensor by the thermostat again and now it seems to be working good but radiator has steam coming out of it. I’m assuming it’s the radiator cap is failing so I ordered a new cap to see if it’s over pressurizing since nothing is flowing into the overflow reservoir.
Simply blowing off the radiator may not be adequate, you may need to have the radiator professionally cleaned - to be read taken to a reputable radiator repair shop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts