John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been having an issue while in 4wd when I get the gator in some heavy snow or even some mud that puts a load on the front wheels so they have to pull they will stop spinning. I started watching the front drive shaft and its spinning where it goes into the front diff. so the transfer case is locked in like it should. Then the front end pops/grabs and the front wheels start turning. I am going to make sure the driveshaft was tight on the shaft but I am worried it is internal to the differential.

ANY ideas or anyone heard of this problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did some checking and lifted the front end off the ground while in 4wd and I can spin the front wheels with just a little resistance. The driveshaft does not spin when I am doing this but both front wheels sure do.
I would not think this is normal unless something is slipping.

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you turn the shaft does the front end turn? I have one in the shop. I'll do some testing tomorrow and see what this one does. I dont recall any problems with the front diffs. There maybe an issue with the fwd gearbox on side of transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you turn the shaft does the front end turn? I have one in the shop. I'll do some testing tomorrow and see what this one does. I dont recall any problems with the front diffs. There maybe an issue with the fwd gearbox on side of transmission.
Yes and the front wheels will pull (spin) in the snow/mud if its not to deep. Where I notice this is when I get into the deeper snow/mud and it puts more of a load on the front end. I am thinking something inside the front differential is not right. I had the dealer look at it but it looks like everything is ok to them since they didn't have anyway to put a load on it to replicate what I am seeing so I am trying to figure out something to prove to them there is an issue so it can be fixed under warranty.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
250 Posts
With front end jacked up and spinning the front wheels, the shaft should spin also. And both front wheels should spin in the same direction. If the dealer is unable to replicate the problem then have them come out to you so they can go for a ride there and see what you are talking about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on the front differential. Local Dealer opened a "case" with JD and I was having some trouble convincing the dealer I had an issue so I took it out and made short video with my phone and sent it to the dealer. They then forwarded it to JD. The dealer called today and told that got things rolling. He said at least 8 engineers/managers at JD watched it and said yes there is a problem and that they will cover it.
It turns out the manual is wrong On the XUV550 you should not shift into 4x4 while the wheels are turning. I will put out an update on what they find.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My manual reads on page 19 avoid damage Do not shift gears when moving or with engine runing above LOW idel speed.push down brake to stop vehicle motion and engage shift lever with a firm acton.I believe this is the reason so many problems with this 550.Should have been made with shift on the fly.I have about 90 hours and all is good.One belt replaced to make shifting much better.Fred.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you read page 22.
Do not engage 4wd when rear wheels are slipping, Machine should be stopped or traveling at a steady speed, in a straight line, to engage 4wd.

It was that last part that did it for me. They acknowledged that is what it said in the manual and is probably what caused the damage.

It does say to stop machine when engaging or disengaging the rear lock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes it says that but first it says do not shift gears unless you are stopped so i never tried to shift on the fly and put a sticker on my dash so no one would try to get the speed steady and in a straight line which is somwhat hard to do to syncronize exact speed to make engagement without clashing.In the mud or snow how do you keep speed steady?They should send a letter to explain this double talk or a lot problems will and have happened to this model 550..John deere should re call all back and put a shift on the fly unit in it.I bought the 2 year extended warranty because of this transaaxel they used because it will cast a lot more to fix broken gears.Or they should give a free warranty on the gear train for 5 years.Mechfreda:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts