John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 2013 XUV550. I'm reasonably happy with it but I'm concerned with the lack of compression braking. I recently took it out in the mountains and spent a lot of time riding the brakes. I tried revving the engine to get the clutch to connect with little success.

The above trip was just a test. The place where I hunt has several long downhill stretches (5 miles or more) that are famous for overheating brakes on trucks that come down in too high a gear.

My question is how good are my brakes? If I use my brakes to control my speed on descent, how am I going to make out. Does anybody have any actual experience with this situation? Is there anything that can be done to add compression braking to this thing?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I find that reving the engine to keep the primary clutch engaged works very well. Are you having trouble getting the clutch to engage or is it going faster than you want when it is engaged. If it engages but you're going too fast put it into low range. You won't be able to creep but you can get a very steady slow speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
XUV 550 no compression braking

I tried revving the engine without success before my original posting. I don't know if I was in high or low range at the time, but my speed was higher than I wanted. The hills were pretty steep.

We just completed a trip this weekend and I had better control and felt I was getting some braking help from the engine. On this trip, I was in low range, but the hills were not nearly as steep as my last trip. I'll need to try a steeper hill in low range and see how I do.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Reving the engine just enough to keep the front drive clutch engaged will help but it still has a minimum speed. On my property there is one long downhill where it's just barely slow enough in high range. On any steeper hill and I have to go to low range or just ride the brakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts