John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently acquired a brand new XUV550 s4 through an online contest.
I'm in the process of converting it to be street legal in Texas..
I had to add the following equipment:

Full Windshield - (ebay - $300)
2x Mirrors - (ebay - $50)
Golf Cart Turn Signal Kit - (ebay - $180)
Custom PVC Mounts for Turn Signal Kit - (Home Depot - $55)
License Plate Mount and Light - (ebay - $25)
Slow Moving Vehicle Triange Reflector - (Home Depot $15)

I'm still in the process of getting it all wired up... waiting for a warm weekend to finish everything...

Once its done it should meet all requirements to be registered as a LSV (Low Speed Vehicle) in Texas.

TxDMV.GOV - Off-Highway Vehicles

Anyone else have any experience with a street legal gator in Texas? Anything I missed? Any advice on wiring this all up?

I will post photos later once I have everything finished and maybe some photos of the process!

I also purchased a winch.. didn't realize it doesn't have the hardware so I'm waiting for the fairlead, wireless controller, solenoid and wiring I got on ebay to come in so I can finish connecting the winch.

After the winch I was considering other accessories that would be nice on this vehicle.... A gun rack that attaches near the roof would be nice.. can anyone recommend a good unit?
Also interested in adding a snorkel, although I'm not sure if its worth the effort.
Any other cool attachments anyone can recommend? I'd love to add an auto-dump bed as well but I haven't found a good deal on a kit yet.

Currently I'm modifying this Gator to sell it (although I'm seriously considering keeping it as a backup vehicle once its street legal)

If anyone in Texas is interested I'm asking $12,500 as it sits with all components needed to be street legal. This includes the MCO (manufacturers certificate of origin)

Here is a link to the golf cart turn signal lighting kit I'm using:

TecScan Lighting Kit for Golf Carts:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&tag=wwwnathangood-20&linkId=NGXWZ53DUSPOU5TN
http://store.tecscan.com/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Great Day Quck Draw

I saw the Great Day Quick Draw

looks like the front seat measures 32" and would work with model QD851OGR
back seat measures 24" and would work with model QD850OGR

I'm thinking these would be a nice addition and it would be sweet to roll with 4 rifles at once!

Anyone have any experience with them? They are a bit prices, anyone know a cheaper alternative?

http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=...&url=search-alias=aps&linkId=DAUDJ6ESAI6JYUDT

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
not to sure but keep us updated for sure. cant have gators registered for road use, here in NC from what iv been told from DMV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Wiring in the Winch and Turn Signals

I need to wire up the winch and turn signal kit to a keyed wire off the ignition.. anyone know the best place to tie in? Pictures and advice would be great!

Here are some pics of the Gator with the PVC mounts I built:

First pic is the PVC mount before and after
Then there are some pics of the gator with the mounts pre-painting
I will update pics as I install the lights and wire it all!

Hope to get to that this week

Attachments

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
IF the harness is like the 850i then you should have a wire under the dash that is yellow and is your factory acc plug in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wiring in my winch and turn signals

I saw that near the motor there is a random yellow wire coming out... is this a 12v tie in?

See the photo below

I'm going to work on this more this weekend, gotta put a second coat on the pvc lighting mounts as the paint seemed to scratch off easily.. I'm hoping I don't have to add a third.
I'll post more pictures as I make further progress.. waiting for the wireless winch controller and winch solenoid to come in. Also looking for a good deal on a heavy gauge wiring kit with the quick connects for the winch as well.

Anyone done their own winch/accessory wiring on their xuv550 please post pictures as a reference! I want to try to mount everything without having to drill or make any 'permanent' modifications to the gator... Also any advice on running the wire from the batter (under the back seat) to the hood without it being exposed to damage when off-roading?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
yep the one by the motor would be where the hydraulic lift cylinder would hook into the harness to allow it to use the factory harness when attached

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
i have a 850 which is the same frame as the 550 with a 3500 lb superatv winch. ran my two wires under the machine but above the skid plate. i have my relay in the glove box and have a wired switch to work the switch from the seat. have radio led lights and winch all wired into the yellow wire under the dash but about to go and rewire since i did a hack job to just get it all together. time to make mine look factory

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the MCO in today

so I got the MCO in today and it does say on it "For Off Road Use Only"

I hope that doesn't hinder things too much when I try to register it as a LSV (Low Speed Vehicle) but technically with the modification I am adding it should meet that classification... hopefully I can convince someone at the DMV the same thing... we will see.

I am going to get insurance and give it a shot next week.. I will keep you posted as things progress!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of wire connector

do you know what kind of wire coupling that is? I'd like to make mine look nice... was looking on ebay and online but I'm not sure what kind of coupling that is.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I did all this to my 550 S4. Insurance is rather stiff $79.00 a month the same as my cars. I'm going to shop around a bit. I tried to license it but the they told me that licenses for Golf Carts and XUVs weren't required on the North Padre Island Corpus Christi. I sure enjoy touring the beaches but it's a bit cold to go out right now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
got the winch installed

I got the winch and fairlead installed today, still waiting on the wiring kit.. I'd like to figure out what adapter I can use to tie into that yellow 12v line so I don't have to cut any wires to get things hooked up... any ideas on where to find that wire harness/adapter would be great!

I want to get it licensed so I can drive around town here on the back-streets... would be nice!

My insurance agent quoted me $50/month for full coverage - liability was much cheaper

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
I didn't want to fool with my wiring or pulling the ignition switch so I ran my wiring straight back to the battery. It works fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
street legal Texas

I got a response from John Deere concerning the "for off road use only" on my MCO. I asked them if they could send me one without the "for off road use only" because I had all the parts to classify it as a LSV. Here is their response:

As previously mentioned, John Deere produces the 550 S4 as an off-road vehicle, hence the "For Off Road Use Only" designation in the Certificate of Origin. The link you provided to the Texas DMV defines this vehicle as a "Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles" and may only be driven on public roads in the following conditions:

¦vehicle is owned by a state, county or municipality and operated on a public beach or highway to maintain public safety and welfare,
¦driver is a farmer or a rancher traveling no more than 25 miles,
¦driver is a public utility worker, or
¦driver is a law enforcement officer.

Regardless of the customizations you made to the vehicle, we suggest abiding by your state and local laws when it comes to operating the Gator on public roads. Contact your local DMV for more information.

This being said... here is what Texas defines as a LSV:

• a normal maximum speed of 20-25 mph (LSV) or 20-35 mph (NEV),
    top speed 28mph
  • seat belts,
    factory installed
  • head and tail lights,
    factory installed
  • a windshield,
    I'm installing this weekend
  • a parking brake,
    factory installed
  • turn signals,
    installing golf cart turn signals
  • rear-view mirrors,
    I purchased and installed
  • brake lights,
    factory installed
  • reflectors, and
    slow moving vehicle triangle
  • a valid 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
    included on my MCO
so it looks like the vehicle accurately meets the classification...

IT DOES NOT MEET the UTV (Utility Type Vehicle) classification because it was designed by the manufacturer for farm care:

"The Gator line of vehicles are designed to serve on farms, worksites, and ranches" - John Deere Gator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm going to go to my local Tax office and hope that they see things my way.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
hmm so it sounds like its in the grey area haha

·
Registered
29 Posts
not to sure but keep us updated for sure. cant have gators registered for road use, here in NC from what iv been told from DMV.
Go with a Gator TE...:)

North Carolina Neighborhood Electric Vehicle Laws

NEVs may travel on roads with speed limits up to 35 miles per hour
NEVs may cross roads of a higher speed limit at intersections
They must be able to maintain at least 20mph and be limited to 25 mph
Local jurisdictions may limit or prohibit use

·
Registered
176 Posts
All I know is I'm allowed to operate my 550 s4 on Padre Island roads (35mph Speed Limits) but not on the Park Road (55mph speed limit.) and beaches without being stopped by the police. I've checked with the Corpus Christi Police the Motor Vehicle. No license required so I'm happy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice looking unit! From my previous dealings with DMV in general it all depends on the interpretation of the individual that's assisting you. If they decline you try another office across town and you may get an entire different perspective.
One thing I didn't see mention of was a horn. Perhaps it comes with one, I'm not familiar with the factory options on that model. If not, you can pick up a kit on eBay. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts