John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the coast of Washington State.
It rains here a lot this gator with heat is awesome. Can you give me any pointers how to run this beautiful machine? When to use low range, what speed is to fast for low range?
I was wondering why they left the drive belt cover open in the back? Seems like mud and bad stuff can get in there when I am in the mud....

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the 865R and 855D, the later with a turbo. High/low range is really for putting the maximum torque where you want/need it mostly. Low is good for teasing along over rocks, logs, etc. Low is also good when you have that 1/2 ton in the rear going up a hill and you don't want to lug the engine down. For me, I very seldom use low, but then I'm not trailblazing. The gator drive belt cover actually needs to be open because there are blower blades which move air through to keep the system cool. You'd have to do some serious mud diving to create a problem there. Open is good. I'm likely going to turbo the 865R this spring. Vast improvement taking the HP from 23 up to 32+. No higher speed as you're RPM limited, but I don't need the low range on hills with a load anymore.

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's good to see a product finally come about for the algae problem, been lots of claims out there but none did the trick, PS makes some good stuff. Environment only plays a small part in the growth, fuel sitting for extended periods is the main culprit, more so it's lack of movement and it will start to grow in all but a cold climate where it will gel easily. These things are geared so low it's rare to need low range, I'd say only for extremes. No it's not good to have clutches out in the open way to many moving parts but heat is not good either, most competitors closed systems have an intake and exhaust for cooling, Deere seems to get by with an open system but then these are not performance units.

·
Super Moderator
2,661 Posts
.....These things are geared so low it's rare to need low range, I'd say only for extremes. No it's not good to have clutches out in the open way to many moving parts but heat is not good either, most competitors closed systems have an intake and exhaust for cooling, Deere seems to get by with an open system but then these are not performance units.
I would recommend using low gear when pulling/carrying a load, operating in mud,sand,snow or across uneven/rutted terrain or uphill,downhill.

The key is you do not want to slip the belt, doing so can burnish the belt. Once the belt has been burnished, it is toast.

Also never leave the Gator in gear when you open or close gates-if the machine is gear and stopped the belt can develop flat or burnished areas.

Finally this Gator is a closed CVT system, with the exception of an air inlet and outlet (which the OP described).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts